Friday 8 November 2013

Super Easy Curry But Not Quite Curry

This is kind of a weird recipe, I'm not even sure where I got it from to be honest but it just works. When you serve it up with sticky rice it just because a big gloop of loveliness that you never want to end. Perfect winter warmer some might way.

Its also crazily simple, even more simple than the previous curry. Then again, as the title suggests, I'm not even sure you can call it a curry.

You will need:


(Moji, you'll be please to see there are measurements here, a little birdie told me that you weren't enjoying the freestyle carbonara recipe.)

1 can of coconut milk
2 limes
3 spring onions
1 or 2 green chillies depending on how much you can handle your spice)
A pinch of brown sugar
4 chicken breasts (I guess you could also use prawns if you felt so inclined)
The glass of wine is obligatory for the chef

This makes enough for 3 people with second helpings.

We had frozen chicken in the freezer and no microwave so I just whacked the chicken straight in a hot oven (about 190) and roasted it from frozen. It took about 25 mins.


In the interim dice your spring onion into fairly big chunks and finely sliced the chilli, I kept the seeds because I'm a badass. I only used one chilli but after tasting it I wish I'd gone for 2.



Fry off the onions and chilli in a dribble of sesame oil and then throw in the coconut milk. Bring to a gentle simmer.



Now is a good point to put on the rice. I cheat and use the world's best invention, a rice cooker.



Next juice your 2 limes. A little trick with getting the most out of them is to roll them along the counter under the flat of your palm like so...




This loosens them all up a little and makes the extracting the juice a little easier.



Chuck the juice into the simmer coconut milk and then add a good pinch of sugar.




Now have a little taste. If its too sharp add some more sugar if its fine, then leave it. At this point put the
roasted chicken in.




If you haven't roasted your chicken and its fresh then there is a slight deviation to the recipe.
Slice your chicken into edible sized chunks and then pour the lime juice over it and leave to marinade for at least half an hour.
When the time is up, seal the chicken in the pan first before you start frying the onions and chillies. Once you put in the coconut milk the chicken will poach in it.
Don't throw away the lime marinade and still add it. You need the limey kick. Having done both versions of the recipe I cant really say which one I preferred, so you will not be judged if you leave this stage out.

I'll admit, this does need a little something more with it and my veg weapon of choice is bak choi, I steamed for about 5 mins.


When everything is good and hot, dish it all out.



Voila, an easy dinner done in about 30 mins. Jamie Oliver WHO?


No comments:

Post a Comment