Tuesday 11 February 2014

A Very Naughty and Sweet Afternoon Treat

January was a quiet month. It always is in the hospitality industry. Everyone is defeated by Christmas. Personally, I just think it's a lack of stamina...

What it meant was that I was out of work. Sat on my behind for days on end and becoming a stay at home housewife for the housemates. There was only so many loads of washing and episodes of Keeping Up with the Kardashian's I could take before I'd had enough of lazing around.
I felt that a bit of decadence was needed in my life, probably inspired by my new bestest friends Kim Kourtney and Khloe, so I hit up my fellow lady of leisure, Tilly.

There is only one answer when it comes to decadence and that is champagne. What is even better than champagne is bargain champagne. After some googling, this little gem of a website popped up in my browser.

http://www.afternoonteaonline.com

A whole website devoted to deals on afternoon tea. Bingo. (It even works for places outside London!)

We plumped for a Champagne afternoon tea at the St Pancras Grand, which at 2for1 meant that it was a delightful £15 each!

I booked through the website, as this is what gets you the discount, and trotted off for an afternoon of playing ladies with Tilly.


We were presented with our glasses and then in swept the food. If you can't get excited by tiny sandwiches, what can you get excited about? 



Look at those bad boys, perfect tiny triangles of yumminess. All the classics came to play. We had  cucumber and cream cheese, egg and cress, poached salmon (which was so yummy I even ate it, it probably tasted better because it was a tiny triangle) and roast beef. 

We tried to eat them slowly and daintily but it didn't really work...


Next up were the scones


With jam and clotted cream.....


The only question here is... Do you cream and then jam or jam then cream???


We were neglecting the tea, so we dived in


Always with the milk first! No question about that! 

We were feeling quite full by this point and the glass of champagne had disappeared. The only problem is that you can never have just one glass of champagne, so we may have accidentally ordered another.... 


Well we had to have something to wash these down with! 

Sadly although these look great they were not the stars of the show so we abandoned them after a few nibbles. 

Our 2 hour slot came and went, but luckily we weren't kicked out. So we sat and gossiped the afternoon away.

I would say it was a wonderfully cheap way to spend an afternoon of luxury and we almost managed it until we ordered a lovely bottle of Sauvignon Blanc...

The rest, as they say, is history... 









No comments:

Post a Comment